Rose beyond romance
Roses are not just for Valentine’s day
We know how effective the healing properties of our Epsom salt crystals are and we’re excited to learn more about how rose can enhance them. We love to find innovative ways to use our salt crystals to fully reap all the benefits and aromatherapy oil is a wonderful way to enhance the healing power our Epsom salt crystals. And being the month of romance, we felt rose was the perfect focus for February.
Renowned for its beautifully intoxicating fragrance, Rose has long been associated with romance and Valentine’s day in particular. But this stunning flower holds way more power than its aesthetic beauty:
Women’s cycles – hormones, periods and menopause
Rose has been suggested as beneficial for women experiencing hormonal imbalances and particularly during the menopausal stages of life. Rose has also been explored for its ability to ease menstrual cramping and pain. A totally natural way to work with the natural rhythms of the body.
Anxiety, Stress and Sleep
Some suggest Rose as a natural aid to ease the symptoms of anxiety. It has also been linked to helping relieve stress, returning your body to a state of calm. Unsurprisingly rose has also been linked to aiding better quality sleep and relaxation. Some believe rose even alleviates the symptoms of depression.
Rose can be found in many natural skincare products for its balancing effect on skin; reducing redness and rosacea, improving hydration, helping to clear acne and minimising the appearance of scars and aging. Not to mention the beautiful fragrance which in itself conjures a feeling of health and wellbeing.
Aphrodisiac and sex drive
Rose has been linked, by researchers, to the release of endorphins which could explain why some people find rose helps to improve their sex drive, coupled with its ability to generate relaxation.
The ultimate romantic bath
With these benefits in mind Rose makes a wonderful addition to a relaxing – or romantic – Epsom salt bath. Here’s our advice for the perfect rose soak:
- Pour 15 ml of base oil in a pot and add 3 drops of rose aromatherapy oil.
- Light the room with candles (if safe to do so).
- While filling the bath with warm water add the aromatherapy oil solution.
- Sprinkle in 250g of Epsom salt crystals and stir until fully dissolved.
- An indulgent optional extra is to sprinkle fresh rose petals into the bath water (being sure to remove them again before letting the water drain).
- Sink-in to the silky fragrant water and soak for at least 20 minutes. Bliss!
If you’re feeling super indulgent have a selection of chocolates (our preference is chocolate covered strawberries) and a glass of your favourite drink to enjoy while you soak.
No access to a bath? We’ve got you covered with our super sensuous Rose Shower Scrub:
- For a rejuvenating full body scrub pour 100g of Newton Wood Epsom salts into a bowl or tub.
- Grind two tablespoons of dried rose petals and add to the bowl of salts.
- Measure 25ml of your favourite base oil (almond, jojoba, coconut etc) and add 5-10 drops of rose essential oil. Stir well.
- Add the infused base oil to the salt and petal mixture and stir to ensure everything is evenly distributed.
- For an extra soft and silky result add two tablespoons of honey to the mixture and stir well.
- Take a generous handful of the scrub mixture and apply in circular motions to damp skin all over your body. Rinse well to reveal radiant skin with a beautiful rose fragrance.
NB: As with all aromatherapy oils, we recommend you always seek professional advice from a healthcare professional and/or aromatherapist before using, particularly if you are pregnant, breast feeding, taking medication or have any medical conditions.
Treat yourself and your loved ones this Valentine’s day to our sensuous Epsom salts – shop here.
We’re always sharing news, inspiration and offers on our Social Media pages – follow us for the latest: